TYPO OF THE WEEK
Real Mistakes, Real Laughs:

Air bases were built on captured islands of Tinian, Saipan, and Guam but they were barley within the range of the long-range bombers.

(hope the bombadiers weren't on gluten-free diets)
-------------------------------

Didn't catch the typo? Scroll to bottom of page

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Permanent Listing

As I watched Julie and Julia for the third time, I braced myself for the Cinderella ending:  when frustrated writer Julie Powell hits the big time with her blog on working her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  Of course, she didn't hit it overnight; it took a year of daily postings, of slogging onward while lamenting,  "Who's going to read this, anyway?"

 I've felt that way many times about Crossing Polansky.  I really wanted to stick to my cross-genre roots and blog about everything, or nothing.  And why not?  Seinfeld was "a show about nothing." What writer wouldn't love that kind of journalistic freedom?  But I noticed that my postings kept coming back to one thing:  lists.  Serendipity took over when I read the following from publicity expert Steve Harrison's online newsletter, Reporter Connection:  
Ever notice how people love lists? When I saw the words "The 500 Greatest Songs of All       Time" on the cover of Rolling Stone at the newsstand, I grabbed it. Simply HAD to see if Babe I'm Gonna Leave You was in the top 25 (It wasn't.) 
 
Two college professors received tons of publicity and launched their careers to new heights by releasing the "Beloit College Mindset List" every year. It lists surprising trends and influences on each freshman class. For example, members of the class of 2014 almost never wear wrist watches, hardly ever use snail mail, and believe the U.S. and Russia have always been friendly. Remember to make sure your list is entertaining AND useful, and you'll find the media knocking on your door.

It was a sign.  I will become a permanent Lister.  I doubt I'll receive tons of publicity and of course "usefulness" is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't see the Beloit College Mindset List as any more useful than Bad Wedding-Dance Choices.  In fact, the latter is probably more useful; I might be saving a hapless groom from suggesting that It's Hard to Belong to Someone Else When the Right One Comes Along become "their song." 
So Crossing Polansky is changing from "the blog about everything" to "the blog of lists."   But I need a catchy new name.  I've done the pirate thing ("Avast, ye mateys, we're listing again"); it's time to move on to something more original (no, Polansky's List will not do as an homage to Oskar Schindler).  Please send me your ideas for a new blog title, as well as suggestions for future lists. 

Useful?  We'll see.  Entertaining?  I guarantee.  As my Salvadorian friends say, "Cado con su tema."

Cynthia Polansky "Expect the Unexpected" http://www.cynthiapolansky.com/ http://www.cynthiapgallagher.com/

No comments:

ODDBALL STREET NAMES

ODDBALL STREET NAMES
Annapolis, MD

Sturbridge, MA

Annapolis, MD
Submit a jpeg of your local oddball street name -- if it's posted, you'll win a prize!