After 35 years on the air, SNL has hit some rough spots with changing production execs, cast life-cycles, and less than hilarious writing. But even during the lean times there were those skits that we continue to rehash by the water cooler. If only we didn't have to wade through the muck to get to the gold!
My bright idea: NBC sets up a website similar to iTunes where you can search out and download your favorite skits to a custom DVD mix. Much better than simply buying an entire season on DVD; why suffer through Chris Kattan's Mango just to get to Dana Carvey's Massive Headwound Harry? My top 20, in no particular order, goes something like this:
- Dan Aykroyd pitching Bass-O-Matic
- Gilda Radner impersonating Patty Smyth
- John Belushi as Samurai Delicatessen
- Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd as the Czechoslovakian Brothers ("we are two wild and crazy guys")
- Bill Murray as the Lounge Lizard (singing cheesy improvised lyrics to the theme from Star Wars)
- Gilda Radner and Bill Murray as Lisa Lupner and Todd
- Gilda Radner as Roseanne Roseannadanna
- Nora Dunn and Jan Hooks as the Singing Sisters Lounge Act (especially when they play a gig at a prison)
- Julia Sweeney as Pat
- Eddie Murphy as Buckwheat pitching his album Buckwheat Sings ("...unce....tice...fee tines a mady...")
- various cast members pitching the album Songs You Don't Know All the Lyrics To ("Penny Lane da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da...")
- Cheri Oteri and Will Ferrell as the Cheerleaders
- Jim Carrey as the Hot Tub Lifeguard
- Andy Samberg and Justin Timberlake in the music video Dick in a Box
- Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer, and various guest hosts as the singing trio Gemini's Twin.
- Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon as NPR hosts interviewing Alec Baldwin about his Schwedy Balls.
- Joe Piscopo as Frank Sinatra and Eddie Murphy as Stevie Wonder performing a duet of Ebony and Ivory (Wonder: "I am black and you are white), Sinatra: "You are blind as a bat while I have sight")
- Will Ferrell as Alex Trebek in Celebrity Jeopardy! with Darrell Hammond as Sean Connery
- Christopher Walken as the Continental
- Tina Fey pitching Brownie Husband
- (I know I said Top 20 but this must be included) Tina Fey as Sarah Palin
See you this Saturday night, 11:30, my place.
Cynthia Polansky "Expect the Unexpected" http://www.cynthiapolansky.com/ http://www.cynthiapgallagher.com/